Thursday, June 23, 2022

Windshield Replacement


Related Posts with ThumbnailsI'm not sure if you can see the crack in my windshield but it grew 10X when I arrived here in Tahoe. I had a little one inch crack for several years and I just never got around to getting it replaced. I don't know if it was just being lazy or I didn't want to mess with the window. I do have insurance so that wasn't the issue. It's a little unnerving when you're driving and you not only see but hear the crack get bigger. My son Chad who was quarantining at the time, came over (masked and we were outside) to take a look at it and reassured me my window wasn't going to blow out. I was also concerned coming from Alameda, that it would take awhile to get a replacement. With the high number of car being broken into in the Bay Area, there's a short supply of windows.  Everything has to be ordered now days. Being a small town it took a few calls to find someone who could replace it. 
So it took about 4 working days to get the window and the guy to come out. He's a mobile service and had a much more flexible schedule. He had an interesting story why he started his mobile service. He worked for Safelite (the big company that handles all of AAA window repairs) and at some point they thought he was getting too old for the job. Since he did the scheduling, ordering and billing to the insurances, he knew all the in and outs of running the business so went rogue. He said the only down side to the mobile business was it gets lonely not having an office or staff to see everyday. He's big social time is when all the other independent installers meet at the warehouse to pick up the windows. They chat in the parking lot while they finish their coffee. 
We got in the discussion on why I may move here, dealing with the snow, if I can find an affordable place to live etc... We talked about how living next to Oakland wasn't a good idea and all the car break ins.  It was funny when he showed me the window to his next job which he called "the Tahoe smash and grab" which is always done by a bear. There are two schools of thought here about leaving your cars unlocked or not. If a bear wants in, is it better they can open the door and see nothing is in there or let them break the window? Really it's more about making sure there's nothing in your car that smell remotely good. Chapstick, lemon scented wood polish, cookie crumbs etc.... I've made the mistake of leaving my Gatorade in the car overnight! The bear problem isn't that bad in this neighborhood since everything is in bear proof containers.  It's more of a problem closer to the hotels and resort areas, at least that's my guess. 
I'm still checking out the rental listings for Pacific Grove but I think I'll stay here for a year. The challenge now is finding a place to rent that won't break the bank. 

No comments: