Sunday, June 26, 2022

Life in a vacation town

Classy Seconds Thrift Store
When I missed my exit coming home from Reno yesterday, I ended up in Carson City which was way out of the way home. Luckily Carson City isn't a big town and my very old car GPS can find most of the surface streets, but not the new highways. Ask me how I know this. :)
 I'm getting better at knowing which mountain range to head toward to find the only freeway home. Living in a vacation town. 
I've been warned to watch out for the crazy tourist drivers and how they drive on the very narrow and steep mountain roads. After living in Alameda, I've learned to give the car ahead of me a lot of space, so doing that here wasn't a big change. To get to the bigger towns with the big stores, I have to drive those roads about once a week. I'm just amazed (and understand why there are so many head on accidents) at what people do when they decide they want to make a three point turn on a two lane highway near a blind curve. Yesterday there was a car that couldn't decided where to park or turn (there was no legal parking on that part of the highway) so they put on their emergency flashers on and basically drove down the center of the road. The very large truck behind me wasn't having any of the nonsense and laid on his horn. Then a few miles down the road a young gal who didn't know how to parallel was blocking the road.  When she looked back the shock on her face when she saw at least 20 cars at the stand still because she failed the course in parking. Yes, this is life living in a mountain vacation town. 
While I was in Carson I stopped at the Classy Second thrift store. I try not to shop when it's not a senior discount day but I was there so went in. I did find a few things but the interesting thing was I had to interact with the cranky guy. I wrote about him earlier.  I picked up a display piece (Cost Plus type) with no price tag. I was going to take it up to the register and ask about it because it's really hard to tell who works there.  Cranky guy saw it in my cart and told me it wasn't priced, guess I wasn't the first person to pick it up. I said I knew that and I was going up front to ask about it, unless he could price it and yes I was nice about it.  So I know I was being profiled (not a lot of Asians in that town) and what I had in my cart, he knew I was an out of town picker. The price was at full retail and knowing his reputation, I didn't even try to counter the price. Still my car was packed full from everything I got at the estate sale in Reno so it was a good picking day!





Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments: