Friday, September 30, 2022

My theory why thrift store prices have gone up.

So here is my theory on why the prices at thrift stores have shot through the roof in the pass couple of years. 
Now that you can search on eBay for what people are selling things for, (not to be confused with what items actual sell for) and using apps like Google lens the stores are doing a quick search. 
The only time I find something to flip is something that isn't easy to check online.  Doesn't pop up quickly unless you know exactly what it is. In the photo is the example of what I'm talking about. This is a hand carved piece made from tree bark. A few years ago I found three and realized it was hand carved. I really didn't think they would sell but they were unusual enough to add to my booth at Cottage Crafts. I was surprised at how fast they sold. 
I was at The Happy Dragon which use to be my go to place to thrift but now even the junky stuff is way over priced. They had a sign up of a guy that shop lifted a $3,000 statue. First of all why would you keep something priced high in a store? Why not try to sell it on eBay? The store is run by senior women volunteers so even if they saw him walk out with it, they couldn't stop him. That was the reason when I ran the Thirty Kitty I didn't have any $$$ in the store. 


No comments: