Saturday, August 13, 2022

Life in Hawaii

Seaweed salad, shoyu poki, spicy shrimp
Since arriving in Hawaii I haven't eaten so much raw fish in years, maybe ever. Poki is basically a staple here and found in every store. Yesterday I drove into town to ship some things my daughter wanted to send off to her friend in Seattle so I stopped by FoodLand on my way back.  Food prices here are super high and even shocked me the first time. I use a frequent buyer card that comes with the house and every time it saves me about $20 and I don't even buy that much! Since I'm here I may as well enjoy all the seafood and what I got yesterday will last me several meals. I had hopes of going to some nice restaurants but it's not fun to dine alone. 
Since the kids are gone, I've been opening up the house at night as Jim (he owns the house) ask me to do so the AC isn't running all night. There is solar (as most of Hawaii is now) so that helps. When the kids were here, we really couldn't because Mees is a great escape artist and never know what he will get into if no one is watching.  It's nice the front yard is also a courtyard and after securing the from gate, even if he could get out of the house he wouldn't end up out on the street. It was little hard for me to leave all the doors and windows open after living in Alameda, but this is a gated community and very strict on what you can and can't do. Eyes watching everything. It is nice to hear all the birds and the ocean from the beach across the street. 

No comments: