Monday, August 15, 2022

Bugs grow big here in Hawaii!


Since it's now just me here, I can get an early morning walk in as soon as I wake up. The beach isn't crowded and with the sun not all the way up yet, it's not hot. 
I've been trying to keep the doors and windows open at night so the AC doesn't have to run. Jim put big stickers on the screen doors and I found out why. I accidentally left one of the sliding doors screens open. I know I looked at it several times (remember this is a big house) and thought the screen door was closed. I kept wondering why there were so many moths in the house, then I realized the screen was left opened! Then that night, I walked into the bathroom and a giant moth (Black Witch Moth) came swooping down. At first I thought it was a bat, it's that big.  After I regrouped my thoughts - it was a little shocking to see something that big flying around, I figured out it was the Hawaiian Black Witch moth. Some say it means death but the Hawaiians think it means a loved one that has pasted and is here to say goodbye. I think I'll go with the Hawaiian version. :) I'm sure there are a tons of geckos and lizards in the house as I see tons of them in the yard and on the screens. 
I was able to catch and release it after it came down from the 20 foot skylight. Hopefully it will survive after it's stressful night in my bathroom. 

No comments: