Wednesday, July 6, 2022

When to sell

Paid $8
I've been listening to  the YouTube videos by Chris Lin of Daily Refinement. He was a big eBay seller from Oakland CA until his store was shut down. Long story on that but it wasn't anything illegal. He does talk about when to know to sell, no matter how small a profit you make. This is a lesson, many who resell don't understand.
I've been flipping for a long time and I know many resellers who fall into the trap of not selling unless they get the maximum profit. Being able to Google sales on almost everything  how days doesn't help either.  They end up with storage units or houses full of their inventory. Instead of looking at just the profits, it's the return on investment, getting your money back that's important. 
I have been looking for a vest with large pockets to hold my phone. When I was in Alameda, it was important so you couldn't tell I had a phone. People were getting mugged just for their phones while on morning walks and carrying a purse was just out of the question. Now up in Tahoe I still wanted a vest so when I went out hiking, my phone could be in my pocket. Finding a vest here in hiking country that doesn't break the bank is very hard to find. When I was out thrifting in Carson I found two and only two in good condition in a size I could wear.   
I decided to test out the market here and see if I could flip them.  I paid $8 for the one in picture. At first I listed it for $30 because it still has tags on it and that is what it was selling for online.  Next Door and Facebook Market Place aren't very active here so I wasn't expecting any great results. A week later I lowered the price to $10, which was a mistake on my part. The site automatically drops everything to $10. Before I could go back to change it, someone expressed interest in it. Following the advice from DF a $2 profit is better than having inventory sit, especially when dealing with clothes. I'm getting my initial investment back with a 25% return, which isn't bad. So if you following DF advice, you take that $2 and invest in something else you can flip and just keep compounding your money.
Upadate: I sold the other vest to the same people so made a profit of $16!  
Paid $6 for this one

No comments: