Friday, July 15, 2022

Something I didn't know about Goodwill

Lastest pickings
On Thursday in the morning I listened to Golden State Picker talk about why people are angry that the Goodwill prices have gone up so much. Many blame the fact that Goodwill has it's own online store but what I didn't know was that GW started online selling back in 1999, way before it was common for anyone to be selling online. The CEO at the time saw that the then new eBay site, sellers were basically selling what he had in his stores. So he decided to start another branch of GW and go online, which to me was a very wise business move. 
I was at the Carson GW, which is quite large. There isn't a whole lot of good stuff but mainly because of the area it's in. 
I was talking to a lady who was going through the silverware with a fine tooth comb. I know she was looking for real silver which if you have the time may be worth it. We got to talking about living in Carson and how the pandemic has changed everything. From remote workers buying up homes, crazy city drivers and the water issues. A very nice Goodwill employee jumped in the conversation and she talked about there wasn't a good water store in town. I suggested to her that she start an eBay store to raise the capital she needs to open one. That's when she told me GW employee aren't allowed to have any online store. They also aren't allowed to buy anything until it's been out on the floor for week. That she couldn't even buy from the GW online store if it's in the same state she works in.
I do remember Chris at Daily Refinement talked about never doing back door deals with anyone working at GW because they don't last long on the job, (they do get caught at some point) and working with dishonest people isn't worth. He just reminds us to be nice and polite. If you're a regular the staff will point out (not save) if something is there you would normally buy.   
Yes GW prices have gone up but it's still a business that has over head and a massive amount of trash to dispose of. As a picker if any store gets too high, I just don't shop there as often. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments: