Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Glitter Mist Recipes


I came across this recipe for glimmer mist and thought I would share. It's a fun but messy product. It's not high on my must have list but I plan to give this recipe a try.
Memory Mists are pigment-based and Glimmer Mists are dye-based. Glimmer Mists also have a metallic 'glimmer' to them, Memory Mists do have a few metallic colors, but most are just color, no glitz.
You can make your own at home with stamp pad re-inkers, water, & a spray bottle. The more ink you use, the more intense the color. For the glimmer effect, you can add mica powders - if you use something like Rangers Perfect Pearls, they already contain a binding agent, so you're all set, but if you use something like PearlEx powders, you'll need to add a little Gum Arabic or the mica powder will rub off once it dries. It's a lot of fun to create your own custom colors!
At CHA the demo person at the Tattered Angels booth was telling people to shake the bottle well and spray it like hairspray. Well one woman did what she was told and sprayed the Glimmer Mist over her head and into the eyes of the people standing next to her. I was laughing so hard I thought I was going to pee in my pants. When she left the table I asked the demo person if she was going to change her description on how to spray the mist as I looked at all the ladies with sparkling raccoon faces.

4 comments:

toners said...

I would have liked to have seen that at the show! LOL!

I had a bottle of the Glimmer Mist last year, and I ended up throwing it away. It was so messy and inconsistent; I just couldn't handle it!

holly* said...

i would have LOVED to see this! totally with you on the "not high on my list" part. the few glimmer mists that i enjoy using are mostly for their color AND pop of shine/glimmer. whats glimmer mist with out the glimmer. just mist? eh.

worth playing with. who knows, we might be suprised!

Unknown said...

I would have liked to see Lisa standing there crossing her legs while laughing!!!
I LOVE my Glimmer Mist - I used it on my Christmas cards this past year.

Denise said...

You can make your own glimmer mist with colored mica colored dye and Gum Arabic which are all available on the internet. It is quite easy to make and does not rub off. happy spraying!!!