Friday, April 10, 2009

My Front Yard


Living in California we don't have "seasons" so I designed my front yard like I would a rotating art canvas. Every three months or so, it's changes color. The yellow daffodils, pink tulips and dark purple irises have finished blooming and the second round of irises are now in full swing. The best part of having this type of landscaping is once planted, it doesn't take much maintenance. We did have a hard frost last year so my green hedges will take a bit longer in growing back. I added some French lavender (not to be confused with Spanish lavender) last summer and I only lost one to the frost. French lavender keeps it's flower longer, so it's a better choice for bee keepers. I do have to go in and give it a good weeding and add some ground cover plants (so it doesn't turn into a litter box) but other than that it's good to go.

1 comment:

toners said...

I love daffodils; when I was back in England I saw lots of them out already; they were so pretty!! Enjoy your Spring garden :)