Monday, April 20, 2009

Bees and Weeds

This weekend at the crack of dawn, I went out to your backyard to do some weeding around the bee hives. We let all the dandelions got unchecked since the bees like the flowers. Now that everything else is in bloom, I decided to do some major weeding. Of course you can't do that when the "girls" are busy coming and going during the day, especially with the weeds right at their front door. To date hubby has gotten 7 seven swarms and many near misses. One guild member has gotten 17 swarms, which is a lot of bees! We still have people knocking wild hives down and killing the bees. :( With the weather turning hot here in California there will be even more swarms so spread the word about "Bee guild's relocation program". Hubby filled two foster hives for another bee keeper and they happily went to their new home last night. I was happy to see them leave since they were right next to my raised bed garden that I have water everyday. They seem to like my hand lotion, which must have contained some bee hormone by product. I now make sure I don't have any on when I'm out in the garden or on the trails. Even hiking I noticed more bee activity around me when I have this lotion on.

No comments: