Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Warning - Max Cat is killing cats


Last night we ran out of cat food, so the first thing on my to do list was go to the pet store. I got there a little early but with a panic look on my face, let me in. Guess I'm not the first person with hungry cats at home. They were still stocking the shelves (pallets and boxes everywhere) as I looked for the brand my cats have been eating since they were kittens. When I couldn't find it, one of the guys went in the back to look. Another employee came up and told me that the Max Cat brand had been recalled AGAIN because is was killing people's pets by causing kidney failure. He said it has been recalled several times to his knowledge and I really should switch to another brand. You can only imagine my horror when I heard about this. Lucy has not been feeling well for the past few months and now I know why. I did a quick Internet search on the recall and all I could find is that there was some cross contamination (with what I don't know) at the plant and or too much of zinc and potassium were added to the mix that is causing the problem. When I look at Lucy and Purrcy I feel so guilty that I was feeding them something that was making them sick. I made sure this was a cat food made in USA locations and not from China. Guess even that wasn't enough.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

This is the same cat food I have been giving to my cats since they were kittens
Nicholas will eat nothing but Max Cat....ugh
now I'm wondering what the heck I'm going to feed him!

Unknown said...

Here's the full text of the FDA recall notice.

They're graciously offering to give you your money back OR to let you exchange it for yet another bag of their food. Yeah, sure.

Lisa said...

I got a small bag of the Science Diet brand and both Lucy and Purrcy are eating it. They seem to like so far.