Thursday, June 4, 2009

June Bee Swarm 2009

Yesterday we finally got a call about a swarm in our area. Hubby went out and did what is called a "capture". It was an easy text book capture. The bees were only about 8 feet high in a wisteria bush. After getting the queen in the box (just a cardboard box) the rest of the girls followed her in. He leaves the box there and after sunset when all the bees are back for the night, he closes up the box and brings everyone home. This is about 4 pounds worth of bees, which is a nice size swarm. It will be combined with one of our hives today.

1 comment:

Debbie O'Neal said...

WOW Lisa, that bee keeping gig is so cool ! I have heard of people doing that but never knew anyone who did it but I sure do enjoy the results. I love honey !

I am nominating your blog for an award...check out my blog for the details. I hope to meet you at CE in August !