Saturday, June 6, 2009

The First Bees - White House Garden


Being an urban bee keeper, I'm always interested in bee news. Today there was an article about the bee keeper who came out of the closet in Washington DC. She had kept her identity a secret for a long time because of "city folks" having a strong fear of insects. Toni is the bee mentor to Charlie who is the bee keeper at the White House. The hive set up (on the left) is unusual (at least out here in CA) but high winds from nature and helicopters made in necessary. I think it's just too cool to see a working hive on the grounds of the White House.
Here's the link to Toni's blog

2 comments:

Helen said...

Lisa, I've found you because of CE and crafting but this whole bee-keeping thing fascinates me!! Make sure you bring honey to CE to share!!!

toners said...

Wow! Very cool!! I'm going to show this to Nattie and Jamie :)