Friday, January 2, 2009

Why I don't eat Mochi

Mochi not to be confused with manju which is sweeter and tastes a whole lot better. People have asked why I don't care for mochi, a traditional Japanese food at New Year's. Well take a look at these photos above. Yes it tastes like it looks - very glutenous rice paste that will get rock hard if left out to dry to long. It really doesn't have a taste, sort of like eating chewed bubble gum with no flavor. Manju on the other hand (which can look like mochi but isn't) is made a different way and usually has a bean filling.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Doh, i don't care for the one w/ the azuki beans either... but really, heat it on the stove over a grate till it poofs and eat w/ shoyu. it's good. mmm... Manju is good too (ok w/ beans), I like the pretty ones shaped like flowers! :)

Unknown said...

Can you add a touch of vanilla or something to it to give it a little more tasty flavor?

strent said...

Isn't it funny what people like. I am just the opposite of you; I love Mochi, and hate Manju. I agree with you though, it used to be more fun to make when we got to pound the rice by hand!!!