Thursday, May 7, 2009

Green Room - Upcoming Projects 2009

You may be wondering how I keep track of all the projects and classes I design for. Well, really I don't have any system. I realized that the other day when I had to clean up my studio (again) for my hubby's weekly jungle juice meeting. I was getting very frustrated at having to put my creative chaos away and having to start/sort it all out again in the morning. Following the Da Vinci method of creative thought, I let my mind relax (better known as napping) and came up with this idea. When coming up with new classes, I have to try the project out in several ways to see if it can be taught. After that, I have to pick the supplies that are still current in the stores, not as easy as it sounds. Then multiple samples have to made, photos taken, display boards made and directions written. Closer to the class date class kits have to be made and supplies packed up to transport to class. So you see there is a lot of behind the scenes work that goes into doing just one class. Right now I have nine projects in the works, so how do I keep track and not lose my mind? I decide to do what I like to call "the green room" (notice the green card stock under each project?) after the holding room people use waiting to go on stage. These are projects that are ready to turn into classes but are in different stages of the process. For you anal people who think, well why don't you just do one project at a time instead of some many? I find when I do that I get in a rut and things start to look the same. Jumping from project to project helps the creative flow, something Da Vinci also did. What may not work on project A, looks great on project B. So I now have what I call the "green room" section in my studio. I would take of photo of the "wonder if this would make a good class" but you don't need to see a HUGE pile of paper scraps and dirty stamps. :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I have to comment
The book on the end that looks something Spider-man would use...what class is this for?
If nothing is planned yet, please email me when you know:)

Lisa said...

It's for my basic pop up book class at Memories Live On. I will be posting photos later on today.

toners said...

That's really interesting! I did wonder how you juggle quite so many classes; once I started breaking down projects to teach, things became much more difficult - like finding supplies that are still obtainable!

ginny said...

What a great idea and what a beautiful work room.