Sunday, May 31, 2009

Donna Downey Workshop

(Sorry had to re-post this because it got spammed)
Part of my getting out of my creative box is to attend more retreats and workshops done by artists who are at the national level. Today I took theDonna Downey Fabric Scrapbook workshop at Scrapbook Island. I signed up without ever looking at the sample - always forgot when I was in the store. There were 31 people signed up for this all day class. I know there has been a lot of negative feedback about Donna but I found her to be funny and on top of the what she was doing. We were the first group to do her new fabric canvas scrapbook so there were some hiccups but nothing major. This isn't a workshop for someone who is afraid of putting color down on canvas or working out of order. It's also helpful if you bring the right type of photos. The ones I had were all wrong (didn't look at sample ahead of time) so I didn't use them. The unmounted stamps didn't stamp well on the canvas (and we used Stazon) so I spent a lot of time covering up them up. I did get to work with some product I've never used before (molding gel and liquid water color) on canvas which was really cool. I did get the wash out look down but I used paper towels to remove the color instead of add more water the way Donna does. The workshop did give me are few more techniques and tips on what I can do with my collage and alter art work. So for me it was worth the time and money to attend.

1 comment:

toners said...

What a fun class! It's great to try something new :)