Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Truck loads of stuff

Last week I had 4 truck loads of stuff dropped off at the store. It was so much that it covered every flat surface we had in the back rooms. It took almost 5 days of sort everything out and get the store cleaned up. I was surprised that there wasn't anything for my consignment person = no high end or vintage. 
You would think there would be at least a few things. There was another group that was having a garage sale to raise money for a girl's group and they wanted us to come pick up whatever was left over. That basically means haul away their junk. I went to be polite but there wasn't anything we could use at the store. I did take all the artwork, not because the artwork was good but for the frames. I removed all the artwork that was so dirty and damaged it's couldn't be saved. The frames are from the 1960's (was a cheap frame back then too) which cleaned up well. Funky enough they should sell well. 
You can see the picture in the left hand corner - that was the one I really wanted. I didn't even know what the subject matter was until it got into the store, it was the huge gold frame that I wanted. We just had a customer come in that day and buy the artwork we had in that spot just for the frame. They asked if we had any more gold frames and I said check back because we get stuff in all the time. 
I do try to find unique things that set us apart from the other thrift store but the pressure is on now to make more money. Without the volunteer support I don't see how we can have longer hours without burning out myself and my assistant. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments: