Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Lucy March 3, 2003 - July 29, 2009

I had to make the very painful decision today and have Lucy put to sleep. For the past few days Lucy was looking tired and not eating. Since she was sleeping so much I didn't realize that she was not able to walk more than a few steps at a time. She did manage to go outside in the back yard with me this morning but I had to carry her back in when I was done watering the garden. I now realize how much will power my little bull dog had to have to work up the strength to spend our last morning together. While I waited for our appointment with the vet, she would still try and follow me around the house. Lucy was never a lap cat, so all I could do was sit next to her. The vet isn't sure what the cause of Lucy's sudden illness was since we had a full panel of blood work done (because of the recall on the cat food) just a month ago, showing everything was fine. Any of the treatments, given Lucy's condition would probably kill her so the vet, who was being very gentle with Lucy finally said if it were her kitty she would put her to sleep. Being by myself I couldn't watch the process, so the vet took Lucy to the back room. They brought her back wrapped in a sheet and her tail was hanging out. One marking that I always liked on Lucy was the the white tip on her black tail. I like to think that this last time it was waving good bye. Lucy had a very short life, that didn't start out well but in the end she did find her forever home with a family that loved her and all her crazy energy.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

thinking of you my dear friend....

toners said...

Lisa, I am so, so sorry :( Thinking of you...

Marilyn said...

What a sweet beautiful kitty. What a sad day - She was lucky to have such a loving home.

Moose Ridge said...

my heart is bleeding for you... she'll be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for you

Allison
Dunlap TN

Unknown said...

Oh, Lisa, I'm so sorry. She was taken away from us far too soon.

Carol_F said...

Lisa,

I'm feeling very sad for you...a pet is like a child...We'll a miss the Lucy stories on your blog.

Hugs, Carol F.

Irina Blount said...

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear the sad news..

Debbie said...

So sad to hear about Lucy, she was quite a cat and way too young to leave.

knag said...

I am so saddened to hear of Lucy's passing. I recently lost my dear dog Kylie at the ripe old age of 15, and it was extremely hard. My heart goes out to you over your loss.

Romy of Pixie Paper Arts said...

Lisa,

I'm so sorry for your loss.