Monday, December 22, 2008

Know your bee keeper and their honey

Who would have thought you would have to be worried about what goes into your honey? When I talked to people about our honey I do say that we have not treated them with any chemicals or drugs to keep them healthy or pests under control. Little did I know that honey coming out of China (the biggest honey producer in the world) has been "dumping" banned honey (honey contaminate with antibiotics) in other countries so it could be legally imported into the U.S. Here a link for more back ground information. http://www.mannlakeltd.com/news/index.htm For us here in California, there are enough local bee keepers that you can ask about how they handle their bees and protect the quality of their honey. Mr D's Bees and Bee Spit (our labels) are from our own hives which we have never treated with chemicals of any kind. I don't allow Round Up or any pest sprays to be used in my gardens or around the outside of my house.

5 comments:

Lydia Fiedler said...

You know - I'm really getting sick of getting poisoned by China. That is infuriating. They poisoned my cat and are still at it. I do not understand why we import food from other countries when we have so much opportunity to produce good food.

Thanks for doing your part!!

Unknown said...

It seems that foreign countries don't seem to care, for their own or others!
Thanks for keeping you bee spit clean!!!

Lisa said...

For many years now (coming from a large farming family) I don't buy anything not grown in the USA. Our standards are so much higher than other countries. I no longer buy any food product made in China.
It's hard since they also supply tons of the ingredients for process foods too.

Debbie said...

So many other countries don't have the standards we do but we still import because consumers want it cheap! And we don't make cheap in the U.S. So until consumers are willing to pay higher prices for quality made in the USA items, we will continue to have these type of problems! IMHO. I now regularly check where things are made. Lisa's link, even though they are from several years ago, makes me realize that you can't always tell where a product comes from. YIKES.

toners said...

Wow, I didn't know any of that...bravo to you and your hubby for doing such positive work!

PS - I was thinking of you today when Jamie and I were watching "Bee Movie" :)