Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Yes more books

One of the craft projects I'm working on while I'm down here in Carmel is to make a faux leather cover on a book. I stopped by the local church bookstore because they do have a free box of books they know they can't sell. I have to use relatively new hard bound book until I know what I'm doing. There were some very old antique books in the box but I didn't think they would hold up to all the gluing and painting.  It was funny the only "new" books in the box were ones writing by the crazies at Fox News. They must have known their books weren't' going to be best sellers because they used very cheap paper that doesn't last very long.
Of course I also had to check out the cookbook section just to see what was new. Simple Soirees (over 20 years old) isn't the type of cookbook I usually pick up - how to plan a party, menu planning etc. It was a James Beard winner and some of the recipes looked interesting so thought I would read through it. Have to say after reading it, some of the menus sound good. 
The author at the time was based in Paris and San Francisco so the recipes are still relevant here in California.   
The second book (another 20+ year old book) is a William and Sonoma "The Best In Taste" from their food and travel magazine. Didn't know WS had a magazine. It just cracked me up that one of the recipes is called "Nun's Breasts". It's an Italian recipe for a cookie. Not sure it would be called that now! :)

No comments: