Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Cooking - Life Skill

I was listening to Chris Kimball's talk on people thinking cooking is a wealth thing. That you have to have all the latest high end gadgets to cook good food. He disagrees with this and said cooking is life skill everyone can learn even with basic cooking tools. 
Some of the first comments, were about food deserts and Chris being out of touch with people (low income) not having the time to cook because of having to work multiple jobs or even the money for basic food. I think they missed the point he was trying to make. 
Years ago at the Wellness Center we started a cooking program with the VA hospital. The program taught basic cooking skills along with the social workers who taught life skills, like grocery shopping.  The hospital found that most of the emergency visits (from the same vets) were from poor eating habits. When they got hungry, they would eat quick fast food which would trigger their medical condition. Teaching them what to shop for and how to cook it would reduce the number times they had to go to the hospital. Cooking doesn't have to be a labor intensive if you know the basics. 
For me cooking is a hobby I enjoy but it's also because I can't eat fast food without side effects. Is it more cost effective for me to cook at home, yes it is. Do I agree with Chris, yes I do. Do I whip up fancy meals everyday, no I don't. 
When I was in Alameda, it was a cultural food desert with only two grocery stores on the whole island, Safeway and Trader Joe's. One of the major reasons I moved back to Cupertino was the access to all the grocery stores. 
So the photo, yes it's another fluff cookbook. It's more like reading diary and to see what's on the menu for today. Living in California eating a salad everyday is just a thing, at least in my world. :) Going to try the daikon radish slaw with crab and black sesame seed salad. 
Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments: