Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Working in the garden

I spent the whole weekend cleaning up my front garden area. I filled two green recycle bins (the big ones) with weeds and yes there are still more that have to be pulled! For the past 6 months I've not here that much so it's taking a very long time tackling all that has to be done. I know being outside and playing in the dirt is helping with my depression. Early on I trimmed back all the trees and took out the ones that died from lack of care. I cut back two huge geranium bushes which I'm sure have been housing rats.  
I moved dozens of foundation bricks (the big ones) to build raise beds around what I hope some day to be a vegetable garden and made some pathways. I'm still working on getting the soil back in shape after years of neglect so I don't think the soil will be ready to have a full blow garden this year. There are still two tree trunks that I have cutting up with just a small saw. My plan of attack is to saw for about 30 minutes every time I'm out in the garden.  At  some point I'll get the trees into small enough sections to either get them into the compost bins or  use as boarders. It's times like this I wish I had a chain saw! 
I did spot a bird on my feeder, which was exciting. Yes, just one bird but it's a start! I'm still debating is I should set up full time feeding stations, as there are times I can go for weeks and not be here. Plus the expense of the bird seed is  something I have to consider. 

No comments: