Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bee Triva

Went to our local Bee Guild Meeting last night. It was a interesting meeting along with a mead tasting. I don't drink, well I do when I'm in third world countries to help prevent food poisoning, but that's a whole different story.
So at the beginning of the meeting they had a young man just back from the emergency room to talk about his unknown allergic reaction to bee stings and the need for all bee keepers to keep a Epi pen on hand. Another member passed on this tidbit of information that I found interesting. He quoted some stats on people who die from snake and insect bits every year. Then broke it down to the number of people who will be affected by bee stings. He went one step further (this is the good part) about the number of family members who live with bee keeper who will develop severe allergies to bee stings. - 1 in 1,000. Why was on everyone's lips. When bee keepers work with bees, their clothing will get stung. The bee sting venom once dry, will become airborne and can float around in the house. After years of breathing in low doses of dry venom you can develop a bad allergy to bees. Many big time bee keepers have a separate washer near their bee keeping operation to just wash their bee clothes. It sounded to me (and I'm guessing here) that it is women who handled the bee clothes while washing the family clothes, were the ones who developed the allergy. Isn't this interesting?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW - I never knew that. I learned something ne today. Just goes to show you're never too old, right?