Friday, April 11, 2008

Flooring? End of week 4

I've done enough remodeling jobs to know that at some point something will come up not in the game plan. As Randy (the contractor) was getting ready to start prepping the floor, he noticed that it had been painted before. Now I know we talked about it and it didn't seem to be a problem at the start of the project. After some serious hours of research, I found out you can't epoxy over old paint. You have to start with a clean slat or in this case, clean cement. To do that now with 90% of the project done, I run the risk of messing up my walls. It could add another month to the project and could mean having to paint the walls again. O.K. I'm stressing and telling myself this was not a good time to cut back on my chocolate binges. At first I was going to just get porch paint and make big paint splash on the floor. That turned out to have some issues too, so I started looking for a flooring place that had something in stock and could be installed next week. After a long search I finally found a carpet store who will edge bind a low pile indoor/outdoor carpet to the size of my studio in the short time frame I'm working with.
It would not be my first choice to have my sink and cabinets sitting on carpet but it will have to do. I'm staying in my color palette(light yellow, gray and dark red) and using the gray carpet.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Unfortunate, the epoxy would have been easier to clean.

Lisa said...

Yes, epoxy would have been easier but I didn't want to take the chance I would end up with a sticky floor and then have to pay for it to be removed. My gut told me not to do it. Carpet was not my first choice but it's better than want I have now.