Tuesday, March 4, 2008

invitations

I was asked to make some invitations for a office party. The theme is pirates and treasures. The invitations will go to all women, so I thought it would be fun if the invite came in a little pirate purse. They did ask that I make two samples so the committee could pick one. I really like the purse idea but just in case, I made a more conventional one too. I went to the bead store to look for a charm but all they had were dragons and skulls, which didn't look all that pirate-ish. I almost gave up when I saw some pearls. I then found some weird looking shells that look like mini oysters and then thought of the Captain Jack movie and his ship the black pearl. Since the invitations won't go through the mail, I didn't worry it's a little bumpy. Covering the holes in the black pearls has been a challenge. If you have any tips, let me know.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

The purse is very cute. Love the bling. Have you thought of putting some black string through the holes in the black pearls? Or a dot of stickles?

Unknown said...

stickles - yeah, that would work! the purse is adorable - what template/system did you use to make it? which invite did they end up picking out? can I ask anymore questions?

Lisa said...

The purse is one 12X12 sheet of paper. In the case of the pirate purse, I had to cut the pink paper and add it to the purse since the pattern only goes one way. If I can't find a template for the purse, I will take of photo of it before it's folded up.
I did use black stickles to fill the holes but they still look like holes after it dries.

Unknown said...

I assume the first thing you tried was glueing the bead so that the holes didn't show (facing the holes toward the part of the oyster that stick up).

Time-consuming, but might work: squirt Crazy Glue into holes and color with black ink. A liquid ink applied while the glue is still wet might blend best. You could also try mixing a small amount of liquid ink (think calligraphy ink) in a bottle with white school glue and injecting that.

Directions on how to fill bead holes here (but might not scale well): http://midwestcreativecollective.wordpress.com/2008/02/06/filling-the-bead-hole-tutorial-by-artwhim/

Could you make teeny plugs with black FIMO clay?

All else fails, stop worrying about it! I zoomed in on the picture and couldn't see the bead holes. :)

Sues said...

I love the purse! Hope they pay you for well for all the time you'll spend!! Awesome work!

toners said...

Stickles - I agree! Wow Lisa, these are gorgeous!! I love the little purse :) So versatile!