Wednesday, August 28, 2024

" I told Your So" moment


Today was a "I told you so" day at the store. I didn't say it out loud but I was thinking it the whole time. :) 
A month ago another department wanted to use a local auction house that I've been buying from for over 30 years. As a buyer, I've had no problems but I've heard the gossip about the major issues sellers have had. I warned them and well, they found out I was right. I knew it was something they would just have to learn on their own. 
The second thing was being more welcoming to resellers. The old guard volunteers have a very negative view on resellers. On Monday we had a reseller who spent close to $2,000! We had a $1,400 Lalique vase for sale. To be honest I didn't think we would be able to sell it. He also spent $600 on vintage clothes. I make it a point to talk to these resellers and get their contact information so I can let them know when the good stuff comes in. Resellers come in buy quickly, pay what we are asking and leave just as fast. 
A box of baccarat figurines was donated today. These are what I would call "the good stuff" and of course I sent pictures to all the resellers on my list. There isn't any discount but if we can sell it fast and not have to put it in the locked cabinets all the better. 

No comments: