Saturday, December 4, 2021

Things I've learned running a thrift store

It's been a little bit of a learning curve on how to display things in a hybrid thrift store. As a thrift store we don't know what we will get in everyday (how we're different from a retail store) so displays have to be updated almost daily. Keeping the store looking clean and neat is a on going project. We don't look like a thrift store and that is by design. 
I've learned that big backpacks will knock anything hanging from a shelf, heavy jewelry put into anything will chip it (this was a favorite design thing for one volunteer to do) and people don't buy whatever has stuff inside it. Doing seasonally things sort of works but as a thrifter myself, I'm always looking for things to add to my collections at thrift store all year long. Yesterday I took in several pieces of easter bunny items and they all sold in an hour of hitting the floor. Some of my volunteers were surprised that there are people who shop out of season. 
This make my job interesting, never knowing what inventory will be coming in!

No comments: