Saturday, August 21, 2021

Learning why labels are important


Since I do all the intake for the store, I see everything people would like to donate. I'm just looking for how clean the clothes are, no rips, stains or strong smells. I don't really pay attention to the labels. In working with my consignment person, I've gotten better at spotting the quality items she would be able to sell for us.  Not so much the label (which for her is very important) but how well something is made, the stitch lines etc.... 
Usually when a donor has very high end clothes most of their clothes are in good shape and they take the time to get the clothes dry cleaned. This jacket came in and the label was very interesting (big clue this was a $$$$ jacket) but the embroidery was very well done. This was the photo I sent our consigner to see if I should hold the rest of the donor's donation for her to look at. Of course it was a big yes!  It's super important to have the labels on everything I send to her, without it she can't sell it. Even the purses go to get authenticated before she will post them. We did get a pair of very worn cowboy boots, which I would have turned away but I could see the stitching and embossing was very well done. Our consigner couldn't take it because we didn't know the size or maker but they were custom made. They sold in less than 30 minutes after putting them out on the floor. If I had to guess, the boots were made by that famous Texas boot maker. Donor was from Texas when she got the shoes. 
It's funny that my mom always cut the labels out of all her clothes because she didn't like the feel of the label rubbing the back of her neck which all my relatives thought was shocking. :)

No comments: