Thursday, November 26, 2009

Mayflower Story

When my daughter was in second grade, the class had a pot luck where each child was asked bring in a dish from their family heritage. My daughter decided to bring something from her father's side for the family. My husband is a mix of many European countries, so we narrowed it down to something German or English. Since my knowledge of German or English cooking is very limited, we sent a letter off to Grandma Smith. She sent some recipes and a photo of the Sheldon family (her maiden name) homestead which turns out to be the oldest surviving building from a Mayflower passenger. I asked my husband why he never told us he (and now his children) were descendants from "THE Mayflower"? He said there are thousands of descendants, so what's the big deal?
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving Day!

1 comment:

Susan Raihala said...

Funny! I have five Mayflower ancestors, including Miles Standish and John Alden. When my sis and her DH were doing the research, my sis called to inform me that our family tree of that time didn't branch much. That explains a lot!

One of our ancestors (I think named Samson) had to get married when he was caught fornicating. It's in the colony records. I'm so proud, LOL! I don't get the pretention of Mayflower ancestry, but it sure is fun studying it!