Sunday, September 6, 2009

The one that got away

Saturday was auction day and I also teaching a class. I normally don't have my cell phone on when I'm teaching (unless my son is on deployment, then I keep it with me all the time) but this cool cabinet showed up at the auction house and well, I just had to bid on it. I did a phone bid (they call you when it comes up on the auction block) and of course I got the call right at the start of my class. It was one of those hectic moments! I wasn't the high bidder, but I thought I would still show you some of the neat things you can find at the auction houses.
This is an early 20th century sideboard. Beside the unique paint finish (it was at one time painted or stained red and I'm guessing the painted started to peel so it was lightly sanded down) the front doors flip up and slide into cabinet. This is all dovetail work and the groves were hand craved out. The top panels of the sideboard also slide out to reveal a shallow drawer underneath. I sure would have loved to drag this prize home. It sold for $275.00.

No comments: