Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Molcajete

I picked up this molcajete a few years back. At the time I had no idea what it really was, I was just looking for a mortar and pestle for my son. It's hard to find all the parts to things at the thrift stores so finding it with it's pestle I picked it up. It also weighs a ton so not the easiest thing to move around. 
This week I finally got around to testing if I got a real molcajete (lava stone) or one made out of concrete made for the tourist market. The good news is it's not concrete which can't be used for food use at all but I don't thinks it's lava stone either. What I have is granite, which is in the middle of the two.  It can be use for food prep but not for serving so the experts say.
I've read up that it needs to be "seasoned" so yesterday I started  grinding rice into it. Let's just say it took all day as it was very hard on my wrists. I could only grind the hard uncooked rice for 15 minutes at a time. After that I grounded up pink sea salt chucks which only took a few minutes. I'm going to try and make salsa the old fashion way when the tomatoes come into season and guacamole. Yum!
Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments: