Saturday, September 18, 2021

Curb Alert

Here in Alameda people leave stuff out on the sidewalk all the time. Either they don't want to pay to dispose of things properly (which is most of the time) or they think it's helping the homeless by giving them free stuff, which if you ever wonder how these homeless camps end up with so much junk, this is why. Yesterday at work I got a text message from one of my volunteers who saw someone (who is moving out of the country) putting a lot of her furniture out on the curb. They said there was a table there that would be great for the display window, so I sent my assistant manager to go pick it up. What he came back with was a very tall and huge hall table, much too big for my display windows. It was WTF moment when I saw it, but I know the volunteers had no idea the size of the space they thought that table would go in. I like to think of it as arm chair decorating, not able to visualize how it would work in the space.  What else came in the truck were these two chairs, which for now I have space for. Funky enough to keep and use. 
The best part of the curb alert was there were also two IKEA bookcases and I needed more shelves for the current bookcases I have. I really didn't want to deal with ordering from IKEA or going into the store.  I was thrilled the get them for free, even if it means I have to find a new home for the table! 
Never a dull moment!


Related Posts with Thumbnails

No comments: