Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Auction Blues

Set up the store, I pulled the best ideas from all the thrift stores I've been to.  It's been a challenge when I run into those who think I should follow what everyone else is doing. I know it's because they aren't at the store and haven't done retail before. 
I got the word no more buying at the auction. It was a great disappointment  for my assistant manager who really enjoys attending the auction to find the super deals on very cool things. As much as I understand the accounting issues it causes it also limits how we build our brand. At the auction we're able to get super unique items that we can flip quickly. It's not so much flipping fast but that we have things that would never get donated to the store making us stand out for the other thrift stores. The swan bench is something I had hopes of getting for the store but it looks like I now get it on my own. 
On top of that I'm being asked to open on Sunday because the boss believe it's a golden time. In normal retail and before covid, yes weekends are busy but when all the restaurants and stores are closed, there isn't a lot of foot traffic.  Doesn't help half the street has empty stores fronts too. 
Burning up my already limited volunteer pool for a day we make no sales just isn't worth it. There are so many other things that happen behind the scenes that just opening our doors isn't as easy as it sounds. 

No comments: