Saturday, May 28, 2016

Gluten Free - Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter

Related Posts with ThumbnailsI've been living the gluten free for a few years now. I'm gluten sensitive so I know there are some things that slip in via cross contamination or so far down the list of ingredients, I miss it but I don't have full blown episodes of IBS.
People are always skeptical about those of us who eat this way. Are we really gluten sensitive or are we just following a fad? 
In my case, growing up on a vegetable farm and eating a basic Japanese diet, I wasn't exposed to much gluten. My mom was a super cook and made almost everything from scratch. Coming from a big family, we had bacon and eggs for breakfast instead of cereal. I don't remember my mom making pancakes, which with 6 kids to feed would have taken too long. There was little or no flour used in our house. I really was raised with real, locally grown and in season food. Living in California our growing season is almost year round so fresh veggies were always available. 
As an adult I started having more and more issues with my stomach and I knew if I ate sandwich I would get really sleepy afterwards. I never linked eating gluten with my bouts of IBS. I was talking to a fitness teacher friend about my IBS when I hiked (really bad to be on the trail when it hits) and she suggested I go gluten free for 3 days. Well, it was like walking across the street, the changes were that fast. 
I go IBS free so long as I'm good with my eating. 
I post this because everyone has issues with gluten even if they don't have outward signs. After reading the book Grain Brain by Dr. Perlmutter, I understand more of the science behind it. Hard book to get through because it's very technically but does help explain the process.
Makes me sad when I meet people suffering from the effects of gluten but their refusal to even try going gluten free for a week. They would rather pop pills or under go surgery than change their diet. 

No comments: