Saturday, November 20, 2010

Red House Cafe

 The Red House Cafe is one of my favorite restaurant when I'm down in Monterey.  I always try and stop by for lunch or dinner.  The last few times it's not been as good as it has been in the past.  I've been planning on making homemade chicken pot pies (I've never made it before) so I was surprised when I saw it was on the lunch specail board at Red House. It was a big disappointment made even worse that it cost $13.00. That's just for the pot pie, salad was extra. It was so bad I asked if it was made at the restaurant or did come in from another vendor. Sad to say, it was made by someone else.  Since my mom ( who was a great cook) never made pot pies, I guess I have no idea what a good one should taste like. Now Red House's roasted pepper soup is excellent, as all their soups are.
I had a little chat with my waitress about my not so great main course.  I asked if the desserts were made on site and she said yes.  She is a trained pastry chef and she made the pumpkin creme brulee.  It didn't have the carmel topping so I would have called is a pumpkin custard with whip cream.  Red House use to carry my favorite tea "Marco Polo" from France but I guess the weak dollar has made it too expensive to serve. :(  So I had to settle for mighty tea.  I'm going to have to think twice now before going there for lunch, (which cost $40.00 for just me) since the "tastyness" of their food has taken a big drop.


Related Posts with Thumbnails

2 comments:

holly* said...

i hate when things like this happen. you have a favorite place and then its just not good anymore. i really dont mind paying when i perceive quality, but i'm not going to pay $400 for a meal that has instant mashed potatoes included, which is what happened at to us a place in los gatos that was a favorite of ours. since then it has turned into a tapas bar. a lot of customers are loyal for a reason. i hope this place turns around!

Anonymous said...

Oddly enough, Marie Callender's chicken pot pies are excellent. They are not gourmet, i.e., made with wine in the sauce, but the gravy is good, as is the pastry. There is enough chicken to actually see and the veggies are tasty. It would give you a good idea of what one should taste like to be able to then make your own!
Zanne