Monday, September 4, 2023

Do labels matter?


Having been in the thrifting business for a while and watched how the rules have changed over the years. Labels make a difference on the resell value because it makes things easier to find but does it mean it's worth more? I find the topic of "quiet luxury" very interesting and I think of it every time I see someone carrying a bag with logs all over it. Look it up if you don't know what it means. 
I've learned a lot about clothes from my high end fashion consigner Madison, but if you know me I'm not into clothes at all. A denim shirt and shorts are my go to wardrobe. I can't even remember when I brought something new to wear other than underwear.
When I was taking in donations at the Thrifty Kitty, this dress was in the trunk of a car along with a whole lot of cameras. The donor (who was elderly) was dropping off the vintage cameras which belonged to her parents. This dress was her mom's who was really into fashion. It was one of those crinkled up type of dresses way before it became popular a few years ago. The label was hanging by one thread and by a Japanese designer I've never heard of. It also had no materials tags so I knew it was a vintage boutique dress. I think Madison said it was worth $1,500 - $3,000 mainly for the label. Without that label it was worth nothing. 
I been having this discussion at the local thrift store I'm volunteering at about just because you can find it online for $$$$ doesn't mean it will sell in the store for that amount. Posting it online also doesn't mean it will sell for top dollar with millions selling online now. 
When I went to the goodwill bins and watched the resellers basically just touching the clothes for a nano second to decided if it was worth a closer look. They could weed out the cheap fast fashion clothes in seconds and there were many well known labels that didn't pass the touch test either. 

No comments: