Friday, July 16, 2021

Update Auction and a little rant

Well I took a risk and bid on a lot of purses and it was a bust. My first instinct was not to bid but I started seconding guess myself, which we all know isn't a good thing. So $500 later, nothing was real or even close. I do plan to sell off what I can so it's not a total loss but not the money maker I had hoped for. As they say in the business, lesson learned. 
So I wanted to post here and not on my Facebook account because I may piss off even more people. There was a very detailed business plan done for the store. It was clear thrift stores do make a lot of money for the non profit it supports. Covid changed how all thrift stores handle everything and I think really improved the process. I find it interesting the older folks who get so upset that things are not going back to the old ways when they could drop off anything and the store had to take it. They are unwilling to listen to or even try to understand the new business plans are put in place to help stream line and reduce costs. Yes, even non profits have over head costs that have to be covered. One of the biggest bill most thrift stores have is getting rid of the trash. With my store we don't have the space to handle trash, nor the budget. We don't even take the boxes or bags people bring their items in because it would fill our recycle bins within a day. When I have to deal with these very angry ladies, I see someone who can't handle change and has very unhappy life. I know this is a very small % of donors who come into the store but it does put a dampen on my day for a few hours. 

No comments: