Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Great auction find!

This week I added to my persimmon collection. My mother left me a persimmon jam jar (lower right hand corner) she got many years ago in Japan. She said the man who made it basically burned down his house to keep his kilns going as he tried to find the perfect color and glaze for his pottery. 
It's not a very common item to find here in the states so I'm always thrilled when I find them up for auction. I think this is the first time I've actually have seen more than one at any auction. 
It was interesting that this auction through Maxsold, was only a few blocks away from my family home. Most of the items in the lot (auction term for a grouping of items) were damaged but I plan to keep the persimmons ones chips and all as finding them in the wild is so rare. 
While I was waiting to get permission to pick up my items there was a Louis Vuitton wallet at the check in table for $200.00. In my time running a thrift store and working with a consignment person, I've learned a lot about high end luxury goods. So I gave it a quick inspection to see if it was the really thing. I spotted three things that made me guess it was a knock off. Really, I only had to be sure of one thing. I had a nice chat with the auction person and she said the owner had purchased at a store (not sure what store or where) but didn't have the receipt. I said it didn't matter where she brought from, it's a fake with or without a receipt because I'm sure it didn't come from a LV store. So I'm guessing that's why it wasn't in the online catalog, selling fakes is illegal and LV will shut you down in a heart beat as well as empty your bank account in lawsuits. 

No comments: