Thursday, April 24, 2008

Storage Addict















To answer some of the questions I'm getting about my cabinets. Yes, I'm a storage addict and like anything with more than 20 drawers.
All the cabinets you have seen on my blog came from local auction houses in my area. Large printer cabinets are much harder to find intact due to the fact that many people took them apart to just sell the drawers. People buy them to hang their tiny collectibles on the walls. A dealer would make 10x the amount of money on just the drawers than if they just sold the cabinet as one unit. I was luck to get the apothecary cabinet (the really big two piece cabinets) that is in good shape considering all that has happened to it. One side has been cut (will a skill saw right in half) and we can only guess that was the pass through (door that flipped up) for the pharmacist. Those parts are long gone. The people who sent the cabinet to the auction house would have made more money selling off the cast iron hardware, brass rails and carved paneling than they did selling the whole unit. Lucky for me they didn't realize that or didn't want to. The smaller cabinet (under the green hutch) is an old store wooden thread display unit. The back has some minor damage and the inside dividers have been removed. I use it to hold all my vintage jewelry that I someday plan to use in my alter art projects. Collecting is much more fun! The top photo is four drawers from an old Singer sewing machine. I liked the metal pulls (most you see are small wooden knobs) that I found in a junk lot at an auction. The sewing machine was gone and the cabinet was beyond repair. I paid $5.00 for the lot. There has been only one printers cabinet that I have not bid on at the auction house. It was HUGE and at the time I didn't have space in my house. Now if the cabinet comes up to auction again - it may find a new home at my place. :)










1 comment:

Bonnie said...

just WOW! My kind of furniture. Just love everything. I'll have to share pics of mine with you sometime. We definitely have the same addiction to drawers!