Monday, February 11, 2008

Cuttlebug & Brass Stencils

I did a demo at the store yesterday and a few people asked if you could use a brass stencil with the Cuttlebug. I really didn't know but a few other customers said yes you could and went on to explain to me how it's done. So, when I got home I did a internet search to get the facts. What I found was a lot of long winded"you tube" videos but none of them really got down to, go buy this and do this. So this is my short verison of what I did at home and hopefully it will work for you.

1) Go to the hardware store and search the plumbing section for something called "Gasket Rubber - repair parts." The one I found is from a company called 'Danco'. There are two sheets in a pack 6x6x1/16. Most men at the hardware store will have no idea what you are talking about. The product is for plumbers to make custom gaskets for hard to fit areas.
2) Use the A, B & C plates in the Cuttlebug.
3) Layer in this order A - B - Rubber -Paper-Stencil-C. If anything has a curl to it (the stencil and plates) put the curl side up.
4) It will be REALLY HARD to turn the handle so go slowly.

Help hints and Warnings:

If you do this, your brass stencil will have a curl to it. If you like to use the paste technique with your stencils then don't run it through your Cuttlebug. It will never lay flat again. You have been warned.

I have no idea if in the long run it will damage your bug. So far my machine is working fine.

The rubber from the package will fit in the Cuttlebug but I found if I trimed one side down a little I didn't have to worry about getting it in the center.

Trim the paper down to as small as you can. The bigger the paper the more chance it will start to wrinkle.

I also found that if there is any printing on the stencil (company name or code) it will also emboss so make sure that is turn away from the paper side

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for posting these instructions! They worked great!