Friday, September 11, 2026

Experience VS Google

 

The prep for this week's estate sale went pretty fast. The family didn't leave a lot in the house. It's not really enough items to make it  worth doing a sale. Estate companies make money on what is sold, so there has to be enough there for people to buy.  They had already filled a dumpster and a storage unit.  Plus they had already donate away a lot of little stuff. 

The furniture that was left was really nice but the resell value for dark wood is limited. All the original artwork was also very nice but I could tell they went with a color palette that matched the furniture. Still very impressive but limited market for oversized artwork. The flat file cabinet in the garage is super cool and I hope it finds a new home. If I had the space for it, I would dragged it home! 

Side story. The gold and silver guys stopped by to check out the silver. They check it out and confirm what it is and then make an offer, 75% of spot.  If it can't be sold at the sale for more, she will sell it to them. I really don't like that she's using the guys to test the silver and get a baseline of the value but then not selling it to them. OK rant over. 

One of the guys saw what he thought was dutch silver (didn't know that was a thing) on MaxSold. Since you can't actually see it in person it's a risk. The sellers listed it as silver plate because they also didn't know what that mark meant. He took a chance got it for $32. It was what he thought it was. Scrap value was over $800!  Really wish I had a picture but it's already been processed. Experience (not Google) knowing what your looking at does make a difference!

No comments: